I was wondering how the development industry wanted to make this world a better place in the year 2000. Here’s what the global community wanted to achieve between 2000 and 2015: Millennium Development Goals (MDG)
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Develop a global partnership for development
Do you want to know how well the world has done in 14 years? Here is the latest 2014 chart showing some very real progress. Compare it to 2005 (below) to see how the number of the red cells has gone down. 2014: 6 elements in the red; 2005: 34 red cells. That’s a whopping 75% improvement!
Currently the strategy for the future is being discussed. Find out more in the next post.